Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies
ARTICLE I. – Name
The official name of the organization shall be:
Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies
ARTICLE II. – Purpose
The purpose of this organization is to:
- Create brochures to promote all Historical Agencies within Genesee County;
- Create and maintain a website for all Historical Agencies within Genesee County;
- Maintain and update a directory of all Historical Agencies within Genesee County;
- Provide an opportunity for Historical Agencies to share and exchange ideas through meetings and e-mail;
- Coordinate projects to promote local history and;
- Improve communication among Historical Agencies within Genesee County.
ARTICLE III. – Membership
Membership shall be composted of:
1. One member from each Historical Agency within Genesee County;
Clarification: If a Historical Society has a Museum, a separate Representative shall be encouraged to be sent to the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies. [For example the Elba Historical Society has a museum; therefore Elba would be sending two Representatives – one to represent the Historical Society and one to represent the museum.]
- This membership will be a representative from their Historical Agency and will be called a Representative of the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies.
- Members from the general public who are interested in local history may also become members; however they will not have voting privileges nor be able to hold office.
ARTICLE IV. – Organizational Structure
Section A. There shall be six (6) Executive Members to be elected or appointed in accordance with ARTICLE V of these By-Laws.
Section B. – Executive Members Meetings
1. There shall be four business meetings annually.
2. Notification will be sent by E-mail to the Executive Members.
3. A quorum for meetings shall be three Executive Members.
4. Special business meetings may be called by three Executive Members or five Representatives that are officially representing the Historical Agencies within Genesee County.
5. Executive Members meetings shall be at the call of the Executive Chair or by three Executive Members.
ARTICLE V. – Executive Members
Section A. 1. Executive Members shall include the Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Past Chair and will be elected by a simple majority of voting members of the Representatives at the fall meeting in even years. Members in good standing with voting privileges who are unable to attend may mail in their ballot. Ballots will include a brief resume of each candidate and/ or an overview/summary of any issues. The position of Web Master shall be appointed by the Executive Members.
2. Executive Council Members shall assume office immediately upon election or appointment.
3. A Nominating Committee will be appointed by the Executive Members as necessary. The Nomination Committee will be composed of four members; one representative from the Museums, Historical Societies, Historians and one from another Historical Organization. The Nomination Committee members will be Representatives of the Federation and will be responsible for creating the slate of officers.
4. Nominees for Executive Members shall be members in good standing in accordance with Article III of these By-Laws.
Section B. The Executive Members shall be:
- 1. Executive Chair
- Shall preside at all meetings.
- Shall have responsibility for calling meetings of the Executive Members.
- Shall arrange programs for meetings; and may call upon volunteers from the membership to aid in projects.
- Shall appoint committee chairs.
- 2. Executive Vice Chair
- Shall preside in the absence of the Executive Chair.
- Shall succeed to the Chair and fill the remainder of the Chair term if the Chair shall resign or be unable to serve.
- Shall assist the Chair in arranging programs for meetings.
- 3. Secretary
- Shall take and retain minutes of all business and Executive meetings.
- Shall be responsible for keeping and safeguarding the records of this organization and shall promptly turn over such records, in organized fashion, to such duly elected or designated successor.
- Shall assist the Executive Members with correspondence.
- Shall oversee the mailing of meeting notification.
- Shall keep an up-to-date record at all times of current members.
- 4. Treasurer
- Shall keep a record of all monies received, revenue and disbursements.
- Shall present a financial report at each business meeting of the Executive Members.
- Shall present financial records for audit once a year.
- Shall be responsible for keeping and safeguarding such financial records of this organization, and shall promptly turn over such records, in organized fashion, to such duly elected or designated successor.
- 5. Web Master
- Shall design and manage the organization’s website.
- Shall update the website as necessary.
- Shall inform the Executive Members of any fees (domain name renewal, website hosting, etc.) at least 30 days prior to the due date so that they may be paid in a timely fashion to avoid expiration.
- 6. Past Executive Chair
- Shall serve to provide guidance and advice.
Section C. Term of Office
- The Executive Chair and Vice Chair shall be elected for two-year terms and shall not serve more than two consecutive terms in either office.
- The term of the Secretary and Treasurer shall be elected for two-years and shall not serve more than three consecutive terms in either office.
- In the event of a vacancy for the office of Vice Executive Chair, Secretary or Treasurer, the Executive Members shall appoint a replacement to serve the remainder of the unfulfilled term.
- The term of Web Master shall be appointed by the Executive Members and shall be reviewed on a three (3) year schedule and held until deemed necessary to be replaced.
- The immediate past Executive Chair shall serve as a member of the Executive Members until succeeded by the next immediate past Executive Chair.
ARTICLE VI – Representatives Responsibilities
There shall be four meetings of the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies annually. Representatives will be responsible for:
- Attending the meetings of the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies,
- Reporting back to their organization information from the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies,
- Collecting information for the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies, such as information used to create the county-wide brochure and web page pertaining to their Historical Agency,
- Participating on various committees.
ARTICLE VII. – Membership Dues
The amount of annual dues shall be established at the fall business meeting with any changes in dues to take effect the following January first. Dues shall be payable to the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies Treasurer.
ARTICLE VIII. – Amendments of By-Laws
These By-Laws may be amended at any meeting provided such amendment proposal is submitted in writing to the Secretary sixty (60) days prior to the meeting. Such amendment proposal shall then be mailed to the membership at least fifteen (15) days before the meeting. A two-thirds vote of those members in good standing, present and voting shall be required to amend the By-Laws.
ARTICLE IX. – Who May Vote
Membership shall be composed of one member from each Historical Agency within Genesee County; that member who is representing their Historical Agency within Genesee County shall be allowed to vote. A Historical Agency may only have one member representing their organization.
Clarification: If a Historical Society has a Museum, a separate Representative shall be encouraged to be sent to the Genesee County Federation of Historical Agencies and each will have a vote. [For example the Elba Historical Society has a museum; therefore Elba would be sending two Representatives – one to represent the Historical Society and one to represent the museum. Both Representatives would have a vote.]
Members from the general public who become members shall not have voting privileges.
ARTICLE X. – Rules of Order
The rules of order contained in Roberts Rules of Order shall govern the conduct of meetings except when those rules are in conflict with these By-Laws.
ARTICLE XI. – Archives
Records of this organization are to be properly filed and maintained within an archives located within the Genesee County History Department located at 3 West Main Street, Batavia, New York.
Accepted: March 15, 2010